Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Live USB Ubuntu 8.04 Installation (Persistent)

Article Source: Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Live USB How-to

Tips and Tricks:
  1. You can just use gmountiso "sudo apt-get install gmountiso" to mount the iso file instead of doing it manually.
  2. You can just download the "initrd.gz" file instead of manually doing the steps.
Post-Installation Notes: Everything worked great, I only have to configure my Bios to allow booting from my USB flash disk and everything works like a charm, but only the following caused me some problems:
  1. Trying to add security by adding a user rather than the live session user totally messed things up! I couldn't even update my repositories or install any new software
  2. Some system updates couldn't be installed (don't know why), but after facing some problems which I don't know the source of, I just disabled the automated system update from System->Preferences->Sessions, and whenever I need a new package or something, I just do it manually.
I'll keep you updated with any new things I encounter, please leave your comments if you face any problems or find a solution to any of the above ones, thanks :)

No comments: