Friday, August 21, 2009

Fix Slow Intel Graphics Problem in Ubuntu Jaunty

Guys with intel graphics cards might experience very slow graphics with their Ubuntu Jaunty installation and this was really annoying, I like to perfect my desktop! Although I don't use Compiz or play a lot of games! This is an Intel graphics driver problem that is solved in the 2.6.30 kernel.

The following steps fixed my graphics 100% and I have experienced the best Graphics Performance I've ever seen using any Intel card, I guess you don't have to worry about any damage to your machine as you can always revert to your previous kernel once you experience any problems with the new one:
  1. Download the following files:
    1. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30/linux-image-2.6.30-020630-generic_2.6.30-020630_i386.deb
    2. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630_2.6.30-020630_all.deb
    3. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630-generic_2.6.30-020630_i386.deb
  2. Install them. If you don't know how to do that, then just create a folder and put them all in there, open a terminal and navigate to that folder and then run "sudo dpkg -i *.deb"
  3. Reboot the machine
Now check how things are going :); play a game, watch a movie, do anything you want to do!

Note: A problem that I faced is that the "linux-restricted-modules***" deb package which comes with every Kernel package developed in Ubuntu is not available! This package contains some drivers that you might need. For example, I was using "ndiswrapper" and/or "madwifi" drivers for my Atheros Wireless card and they both are not available (yet) after doing the above, but I found a much better driver (ath5k) that was much faster and even the wireless LED finally worked:
  1. Download and extract the following file: http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6-stable/v2.6.30/compat-wireless-2.6.30.tar.bz2
  2. open a terminal and navigate to its folder
  3. run "make", note that this will take some time
  4. run "sudo make install"
  5. After finishing, just run "sudo make load" and if it doesn't work you can simply reboot your machine
Note also that this method is not the official one and that it might cause your machine to hang, but anyway "No pain, No gain" :)

2 comments:

ضياء الدين said...

I apply this on my ubuntu 9.04 x64 but nothing have been changed :| and my wireless card driver was down so I rollback to the previous kernel

ضياء الدين said...

sorry it is x86 not x64 :D