Thursday, October 29, 2009

How To Download and Use the latest stable version of Firefox (from www.firefox.com) in Ubuntu Jaunty

  1. Go to www.firefox.com and download the latest stable version available (3.5.4 right now)
  2. Decompress the file to any location you desire (/home/aamr/firefox in my case)
  3. Delete the symbolic link "/usr/bin/firefox-3.5.4"
  4. Create a new symbolic link to point to your newly downloaded firefox (you must use sudo or login as root): "sudo ln -s /home/aamr/firefox-3.5.4/firefox /usr/bin/firefox"
After I did this, I found out that my Java plugin is not there when I type "about:plugins"!!, I found that I should point to the java plugin from my newly installed firefox plugins folder (/home/aamr/firefox-3.5.4/plugins), so I created a symbolic link pointing to my Java plugin (after navigating to "/home/aamr/firefox-3.5.4/plugins":

"ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so libnpjp2.so"

Restart firefox and you're done.

No comments: