Monday, January 19, 2009

The Perfect Wireless Solution for Thinkpad T60 with Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)

There are many wireless drivers available for Linux: ath5k, madwifi, ndiswrapper...etc. For the model described in the title (Atheros), madwifi latest version exists in Ubuntu 8.10 by default, and I faced the following problems:
  1. Very weak signal, even if I'm very close to the access point!
  2. Cannot connect to ad-hoc networks (via Internet Connection Sharing from my home PC)
  3. Frequent disconnections
I have tried both ath5k and ndiswrapper; ndiswrapper ROCKS! I removed all my wireless drivers and installed the ndiswrapper module, attached my .inf file to it and worked GREAT! You must try it out if you face the same or similar problems

No comments: